According to the American Dental Association (ADA), the average adult between the ages of 20 and 64 has three or more decayed or missing teeth. Thankfully, dental implants have revolutionized tooth replacement. But they aren’t for everyone. How do you know? Make the decision with a dentist you trust. Open and honest communication is key to finding the best result.
A bridge requires the neighboring teeth be prepped and involved. With a dental implant, only the individual tooth is replaced. If the adjacent teeth are already compromised with large fillings or will need crowns or caps, then a bridge might be better. Also, if the tooth has been missing for a long time, other additional treatments might be necessary to ensure that the implant takes to the gum successfully.
However, the design of bridges makes it more difficult to brush and flush. Extra attention to oral hygiene will be needed at home. Implants don’t involve other teeth so it’s easier to care for them.
Many patients prefer the look of an implant. However, a skilled dentist will fabricate a bridge that will fit well and look good.
The cost of a dental bridge is initially less, but it may need to be replaced in the future. Over time, a dental implant may prove to be more cost-effective.
As you can see, there is a lot to discuss when it comes to this decision. Consult with your dentist to review all the considerations.
5 Reasons You Should Choose d3dentistry
- We are a full-service family dentistry office and participate in most health insurance plans to keep costs low for you.
- We are ethical, honest, professional, friendly and fun. Yes. Going to the dentist can be fun.
- You will receive the best care with the latest technology.
- Located in the Park West neighborhood of Mount Pleasant, we are accessible, have convenient hours and won’t keep you waiting.
- We treat emergencies and try to accommodate special schedules and needs.